martedì 18 novembre 2008

Love Story Part 2

If the story of my time in Italy is to be likened to the story of a relationship, I think that we have reached the point where you move in with a man and realise that the fact that he leaves dirty dishes all over the house and doesn't know how to clean the toilet, both of which you were perfectly aware of before, actually starts to bother you. Having made the commitment, however, you either live with it or find ways round it.

To be fair to the Beautiful Country, most of what's annoying me at the moment has more to do with living in Milan. Sitting on a boat on Lake Como last weekend, I was actually pretty happy to be in Italy. Mostly, I'm tired of having a smoker's cough from breathing in traffic fumes, depressed by the rubbish and the graffiti and fed up with the rain. (In my rose-tinted vision of Scotland, it's never raining!)

The other thing that's annoying me is having no internet connection at home. I finally told the guy who sold me my modem that, having tried everything (apart from reinstalling Windows as he so helpfully suggested) I wanted to return it and get my money back. As soon as I said this, he was suddenly happy to try again with another modem, which he was supposed to bring round at 5 o'clock on Thursday. Thursday came and I left work early to be home on time. I made myself a cup of coffee and waited. Then I read my book. Then I watched TV. Then I had a nap for half an hour. Finally, at half past six, I phoned him to find out where he was.

“I was just about to phone you. I'm sorry for being late. I've just been to the Wind shop and they have no more modems until Friday or maybe Monday. They say that sometimes, just very occasionally, because the 7.2 Mbps modems are so new, there are some little problems, so we change, OK?”

Yeah, yeah, whatever. If I publish a post on Monday, you'll know he wasn't talking out of his arse.

Nessun commento: