martedì 10 marzo 2009

CioccolaTo










It was Saturday evening. It had been a lazy day. After a long lie-in, I had been to the market with Mr A, we had lounged around the house, cooked dinner and watched some TV. The weather forecast for Sunday was nice and Mr A's car needed a day out somewhere, so we were discussing possible places we could go without much enthusiasm. Nearly everything here shuts on a Sunday, and unless you know what you're looking for, it's very easy to end up visiting a ghost town and having to promise yourself that you'll go back another day when you might see something more than closed shutters and deserted streets.

Then Mr A, who was browsing on the internet, said, “There's a chocolate festival in Turin.”

“Eureka!” I shouted. “Take me, take me, take me! Drive me down that autostrada like an Italian on speed, for I do not want to miss a minute of it!”

Actually, being British and reserved, I probably said, “That sounds nice,” but Mr A understood the hidden subtext and so, first thing on Sunday morning, we found ourselves on the way to Turin.

The fact that the main market part of the fair was not on any of the three squares listed on the official website caused me to recall with some anxiety my last visit to Turin, but we eventually found it on the Piazza Vittorio Veneto.

The theme of this year's festival was “Chocolate and Seduction” and, if we had been there on another day, we could have listened to experts on one or other subject discussing the links between the two in a series of talks, but Mr A and I were really just there for the chocolate. And boy, did we find it. The whole piazza was filled with stalls selling chocolate in every shape and form, from traditional but exquisite Easter eggs to chocolate salami tied up with string.

Unfortunately, at this point I lost my appetite and began to feel a bit dizzy. This was not my body trying to protect me from my brain's natural gourmandise, but the effects of some evil germs that had clearly decided to invade my body with particularly cruel timing. It probably did my wallet and my waistline a lot of good, however, as I ended up only having a restrained but very delicious cinnamon hot chocolate and a bite of Mr A's chocolate kebab (slices of different pralines wrapped up in sweet bread and covered in whipped cream and caramel sauce. Mmm...).We also bought some gorgeous chocolates to take home, which came in very handy on Monday night when my appetite returned to normal and my body suddenly realised what it had missed out on.

As well as being famous for its chocolate, Turin is also the home of Lavazza coffee, and when I didn't feel like standing up any longer, we went into a coffee shop to try some. Like many Italian products, it did seem to be better in its home town.

Sunday was also International Women's Day and there was another market in Turin which was supposed to be for products made and sold by women but where we also found a stall manned by two burly men who gave us grappa to try from bottles decorated with pictures of other burly men, this time with moustaches. In Italy, it's traditional to give mimosa flowers on this day. There were plenty of people selling wrapped blossoms on the street, but after walking past them all afternoon, I allowed myself to be taken in by some guy in a car park who offered me a tiny piece “as a present” and then said “but could you give me some money for a drink?” After a day filled with delicious chocolate and coffee, I wasn't really in the mood to mind.

Nessun commento: